The Entler Hotel on the corner of German and Princess Streets is one of Shepherdstown's major historic icons. It is as much a symbol of the Town as McMurran Hall or the Rumsey Monument. And it is much older. Its origins go all the way back to 1786 when Philip Adam Entler bought the west part of the Entler lot from Christian Cookus and built a large brick house on it. This house burnt in 1912 but the foundations still remain.
Cookus also built a two-story brick building in 1786 on a portion of the Entler lot east of Philip Entler's house. This building now houses the Historic Shepherdstown Museum. Cookus then built a two-story brick building, with a porch entrance that faced Princess Street.
Daniel Bedinger bought the remaining portion of lot No. 33, that Cookus had purchased from Thomas Shepherd in 1764. Bedinger built a three-story brick building that butted against the building that now houses the museum, and adjoined the Princess Street building. Bedinger owned all of the property that now makes up the Entler Hotel.
In 1809 James Brown leased the buildings from the Bedinger family and opened a grocery store in the corner building. A tavern, the Globe Tavern, began operating in the museum building about this time and offered overnight accommodations. Brown subleased space to the tavern. A saloon and kitchen were in the cellar, the dining room was on the first floor of the museum building, and the hotel lobby was entered from Princess Street.
Around 1811 Town Council (then called Town Trustees) began meeting in the tavern. Town elections were also held here.
Edward Lucas and Brown bought the hotel property from Bedinger in 1815. Brown sold the property in 1820 for $4,000 to Thomas Crown of Washington City. Daniel Entler, grandson of Philip Entler, Sr., became manager of the hotel.
In 1824 Daniel Entler became the proprietor of the entire complex which now contained 24 rooms, nineteen fireplaces, three cellars, and three kitchens. Until the 1850s it was known as Daniel Entler's Tavern or Hotel. The name was then shortened to the Entler Hotel. Entler and his six unmarried children lived in the original Philip Entler house on the west end of the lot.
The Entler Hotel suffered great financial loss during the War Between the States. It served as a hospital after the Battle of Antietam in September of 1862, and as a place where Union soldiers stayed for much of the remainder of the war.
In 1873 the Entlers moved from Shepherdstown and although the family still owned the property they would never again operate the hotel. In 1913 the hotel was sold at public auction for $8,000 and after a year of restoration opened again as the Hotel Rumsey.
In 1917 the hotel closed for the last time and in 1921 Shepherd College acquired the hotel and the entire lot. The college converted the hotel into a men's dormitory. In 1929 the dormitory was named Rumsey Hall.
It was used for a year during World war II as quarters for U.S. Navy and Air Force cadets training at Shepherd. In 1953 it was converted to apartments for Shepherd faculty members and in 1968 the building was used for storage.
Mary Corcoran Lehman
|Historic Shepherdstown Commission | P.O. Box 1786 | 129 E. German St. | Shepherdstown, WV 25443 | 304.876.0910 | email@example.com|