Minutes and agenda archive
August 12, 2009
The August 12, 2009 board meeting was called to order at 7:48p.m. by President, John Griffith.
Members present included: L. Cox, E. Dunleavy, J. Griffith, B. Lowe, K. Maiden, C. Moore, F. Phillips, J. Shank, V. Smith, A. Wayt, and R. Winkel. Also present was C. Schott, Administrator.
The minutes of the June 3, 2009 were unanimously approved on a motion by E. Dunleavy and a second by A. Wayt.
On a motion by V. Smith and a second by E. Dunleavy the minutes of the July 8, 2009 board meeting were unanimously approved with the following amendments:
Old Business –
- Donna Northouse requested and received a $7,500 grant (changed from $8.000).
- The June Treasure Sale earned $1,188.00 (changed from $1,383) this year, which was nearly $750(changed from $500) less.
Treasurer’s Report: Was accepted as presented.
Old Business: Committee Reports
- V. Smith reported that Donna Northouse had 15 teachers attend the 1st workshop. Reviews from the teachers were very, very favorable. The next workshop will be held Oct. 10th.
- Saturday, October 3rd is the Freedom Run Marathon with over 1,000 runners in town; the website has the museum hours on it. ½ off brochures will be given to all 1,000 runners; the website also has information regarding the Museum on it. E. Dunleavy expressed his desire for our website to be linked to other organizations. He would like a tab at the top of the website specifically titled “Links”. C. Schott will contact Johnna Armstrong regarding the links.
- By-Law Amendments: J. Griffith presented the proposed amendments to the board (attachment in record). The following grammatical changes were as follows:
- Article II, Board of Directors – B – The Board of Directors will be
comprised composed of no less then than thirteen (13) and no more than 17 voting members (current 2009 board composition is grandfathered in).
Motion by A. Wayt and second by J. Shank to accept the proposed amendments with the above correction to present to the membership at the September Annual Meeting for a vote. Unanimously carried.
- Executive Committee:
- J. Griffith reported that the Executive Committee voted to recommend to the board that HS accept the interest free loan of $60,000 from the Corporation of Shepherdstown to be repaid in 5 years. This will allow the organization to begin the work on the chimneys and stop the leaks. Motion by J. Shank, second by C. Moore to move forward with the loan from the town. Unanimously carried. J. Griffith was asked to contact the Mayor regarding the lease of the building from the town.
- J. Griffith reported that the Executive Committee discussed the possibility of having the Visitor Center move in to the front room (Morgan) of the Entler and the Executive Committee is recommending to the board that J. Griffith discuss the possibility with the President of the Visitor Center. Discussion centered on the pros and cons of renting the Morgan room to the Visitor Center. Motion by K. Maiden, second by C. Moore to have J. Griffith contact the President of the Visitor Center to negotiate a deal for the rental of the Morgan Room at a rent of no less than $700 per month. Unanimously carried.
- Nominating Committee:
- C. Moore reported that the Nominating Committee has four nominees for board seats. They are Lou Cox, Donna Northouse, Ann Wayt and Adrienne Wright. Lou Cox and Vicki Smith have agreed to serve a second three year term. Donna Northouse has been volunteering with the Museum Committee for the past few months in the archives. Adrienne Wright is a graduate of Shepherd University and has volunteered with HS many times over the years. C. Moore reported that there might be an issue with Donna Northouse’s nomination. Donna has applied and received two grants to run workshops for HS. She is being paid from these grants and that could be a conflict of interest as a board member. Discussion revolved around this issue and it was felt that Donnas’ value holding these workshops was probably more valuable to the organization. C. Moore was asked to talk with Donna and see if she would rather continue to be paid to hold workshops and contribute to HS in that manner or hold a seat on the board. It was felt that she should be given the option to choose.
- C. Moore reported that the following individuals had agreed to be a nominee for Officers for the 2009-2010 term:
- President –John Griffith
- Vice President – Ann Wayt
- Treasurer – Jerry Bock
- Secretary – Donna Pratt
The meeting was adjourned at 9:45pm with the approval of all those in attendance.
(Due to the absence of the Secretary)