Welcome to Historic Shepherdstown
Historic Shepherdstown is an active, non-profit, membership organization dedicated to preserving Shepherdstown's architectural character, and building public understanding of Shepherdstown's distinctive history.
Incorporated in 1961, Historic Shepherdstown has undertaken many important major projects that benefit our community. The Historic Shepherdstown Museum was founded in 1983, and in 1986 the expansion and updating of the National Register for Historic Places listing for the Shepherdstown Historic District was completed. The largest effort began in 1972 when the historic Entler Hotel was scheduled for demolition. Volunteers worked together to save and restore the building as a center for public activity. After many years of heavy public use, a major 25th anniversary renovation project was undertaken in 1997-98 to further enhance the public rooms. Today the Entler is headquarters for the Historic Shepherdstown Commission.
Historic Shepherdstown Museum
Historic Shepherdstown Museum is open April thru October on Saturdays 11am to 5pm & Sundays 1pm to 4pm.
We welcome private tours.
Please contact us at 304-876-0910 to arrange your private tour.
The Museum is housed in the old Entler Hotel building at the corner of German and Princess Street. The building, which is on the National Register of Historic Sites, dates from the early 1800’s and was operated as a hotel until 1921 when it was purchased by Shepherd College. In the early 1970’s the building was purchased by the town from the college and restored through the efforts of the Historic Shepherdstown Commission, a group of local townspeople. The museum was opened in 1983.
Items of interest in the museum include three tall clocks made in Shepherdstown in the late 1700s by Jacob Kraft, one of many craftsmen of German ancestry attracted to Thomas Shepherd’s new town shortly after it was chartered in 1762. Several of the rooms in the museum recapture the feeling of a small town hotel as it must have been back before the Civil War, when the Entler was in its heyday. Period furnishings, many of them which have strong association with Shepherdstown and its early residents, grace two rooms on the main floor – the original sitting Chambers. The second floor features a traveler’s room as it might have been around 1840, (when a night’s lodging could be had for 25 to 50 cents) as well as new Civil War room focusing on Shepherdstown’s involvement. The museum also features Sheetz rifles, Rickard locks, textiles dating from the early 18th century and items dating from the Revolutionary War. Of particular interest is a mail wagon from about 1910, given by the Shepherdstown Volunteer Fire Department.
"Voices from the Storm the War as Shepherdstown Saw It", our newest exhibit premiered in May 2012. The room tells the stories of 5 different people in 1861, during the Civil War.The five represented are:
The Soldier - Henry Kyd Douglas - who was 23 years old in 1861.
The Matriarch - Henrietta Bedinger Lee - who was 51 years old in 1861.
The Preacher - Dr. Charles Andrews - who was 54 years old in 1861.
The Child - Mary Bedinger Mitchell - who was 11 years old in 1861.
The Slave - Wesley Seibert - who was 17 years old in 1861.
Housed in the garden area is a half-scale replica of James Rumsey’s steamboat, the first known adaptation of steam power to water travel. Rumsey successfully demonstrated his experimental craft on the Potomac River in December 1787, fully twenty years before Robert Fulton. The more modern craft, built to Rumsey’s patent specifications, is often exhibited steaming under its own power on special occasions.
For more information on the museum, its collection or to arrange special tours or access the museum archives, please call Cheryl Gregory at Historic Shepherdstown, 304-876-0910 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Historic Shepherdstown Commission | P.O. Box 1786 | 129 E. German St. | Shepherdstown, WV 25443 | 304.876.0910 | email@example.com|